The old Palau dels Vescomtes de Cabrera was only a building with a parish church. But when a parish was built in Blanes, both of them were divided in 1319. The Palau was a barrack for the soldiery that travels the region. Its low maintenance and the different wars with France finally destroyed it. Despite this and after being rebuilt turning it into a noble building, there are original parts that have standed the test of time, such as the original bell tower and the 15th century main door. Viscount Palace of Blanes is a gothic palace of the house of Cabrera of the municipality of Blanes (Selva) declared cultural property of national interest. It is attached to the church of Santa Maria, located on a landing above the level of Dintre Vila.
It is a building with a rectangular floor plan, most of which remains, or almost exclusively, the facade. Originally it was structured on the ground and floor, supported by a ribbed vault, around a courtyard, and equipped with four defense towers. The church of Santa Maria was then a small construction included in the fort and its bell tower, one of the towers. Currently the only preserved parts, apart from the current church, are the base that saves the unevenness, the remnants of the southern and eastern walls, the sacristy and the western facade. It consists of a large door with a semicircular arch and two raised windows of different sizes. The rest of the southern perimeter walls still see two starts of a ribbed vault. In the eastern part, there are also two windows, but without large stones such as those on the main facade. As for the interior parts of the walls and the façade, sculptural remains are preserved in the various vaulted arches with human and heraldic decoration. Some of the capitals and sculptures can be seen being reused in the neighboring church. The missing part was the most imposing and tallest, as attached in the reconstruction proposed by the Barcelona Provincial Council’s Monument Service in the mid-20th century. The first news goes back to the eleventh century when it was linked to the viscount Sunifred of Girona and its successors, the Cabrera.
From the 12th to the 14th century the castle was the possession of the family of knights of the last name Blanes, feudatarios dels Cabrera. In the fourteenth century, in a context of urban growth and port activity, the viscounts of Cabrera recaptured the fort (1381), when Bernat IV de Cabrera acquired the castle of Blanes to Ramon de Blanes. It is then that the master of works Arnau Bargués takes care of his gothic factory. Bernat, who had intervened as commander-in-chief with Martí el Jove in the conquest of Sicily, was appointed Count of Modica by the monarch in gratitude for the services rendered. It was at this time that the construction of the new church and the viscount’s palace began at the top of the village. During the 15th century the palace became the main residence of the viscounts. From 1623 the sold palace served as a barracks for soldiers. At the end of the Reapers’ War it was attacked and occupied, as well as the town, by the regiment of the Marquis de Montara, representative of the Crown. In 1694, during the Augsburg League War, French troops under General Clark attacked and invigorated the palace. Later the church space increased the southern chapels and occupied part of the old castle, which fell into a state of neglect. Its stones were used to build other buildings, in the same palace and in the church. The present remains of the palace are the façade, linked to the church, and the bell tower. In the interior part there is currently a building of the twentieth century that has a cultural and recreational use with municipal management.
Visited 35 times, 1 Visit today