The Juli Garreta or also called City Gardens, are located in front of the beach, between the “Passeig del Mar” and the “Passeig de Guíxols”. These spaces began to form as a result of the demolition of the medieval walls by the French troops, in 1696. At the end of the 18th century there were already more than thirty houses built in the sandy area facing the sea. In 1834 the City Council agreed to plant two rows of trees at “Carrer del Mar” to embellish the street that was also christened as “Paseo de Cristina”. Throughout the 19th century this space was modeled according to the likes of the catalan bourgeoisie.
In 1914 the gardens were finished and illuminated with an electric light at the center and two other lights of gas at the ends, in 1919 they were enlarged again. In 1932, the monument to Juli Garreta was done and moved to its current location in 1953. In 1933 the underground urinals were built, designed by Joan Bordàs. After the Civil War, these routes were fixed with the financing of the General Directorate of Devastated Regions. Some tiem later, the walk was transformed by the progressive substitution of nineteenth-century buildings by modern architecture.
Visited 27 times, 1 Visit today